Workbook: Week 9.1

Storyboard Critique & Animatic Building

We presented our storyboards in class, pinning them up in order and each talking through the actions, messages and effects that would be in each frame. We were given feedback that they were both very good and well thought through, although they didn’t work too well together. The artistic styles were quite different, since Aria’s work was more heavy on illustration in a narrative style, filling the page with the image and relying on voice-over audio to provide statistics and information. Sophia’s work incorporated type as part of the composition, with simpler illustrations and written statistics conveying information without the need of a voiceover. It was recommended that we resolve what style we would be adapting to our motion graphic, and that we sit down to collaboratively build the animatics in person rather than using digital discussion as we had been doing thus far.

With this feedback, we decided to go back to the drawing board and re-imagine our storyboards. We gave each other our storyboards which we had presented in class, and went home to draw the other person’s storyboard in their own style. The next day, we met in person to discuss our changes and combine the styles – hopefully to create a more consistent approach to our motion graphics.

Sophia’s Re-imagining of the ‘Problem’ Storyboard (Originally Drawn by Aria)

The drawings were left largely the same as Aria had originally drawn them, although space was created to include type and statistics in the infographic style.


Aria’s Re-imagining of the ‘Solution’ Storyboard (Originally Drawn by Sophia)

Here the drawings were given more detail and depth of understanding, removing aspects of type to leave room for a voiceover.


Conclusions from the Storyboarding Exercise

After looking over the two, we decided that we would retain some aspects of type, although a voiceover may be used for longer sentences – that way, only the statistics need be included in the visual aspects of the motion graphics.

We used Sophia’s A5 panels as a foundation for the storyboarding scenes, laid them out on the floor, and replaced several with enlarged images which Aria had designed which we decided better communicated the messages of the problem/solution.



Now that we had finalised our storyboards and combined our artistic styles, we created our animatics for the problem/solution. Aria made the ‘problem’ animatic:

… and Sophia made the ‘solution’ animatic:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: